Museum (The Cottage & more)
The Cottage officially opened in April 1978, after five years of hard work by society members and volunteers restoring the building. The original homestead "Glenbank" was built in 1871 for the son of a Rangitikei pioneer family, Neil Small and his new bride Margaret. The Small family lived in the cottage until 1964.
In 1973 the Cottage was donated to the Marton and District Historical Society by the late Mr R.J. Smith. It was transported from it's original site to the Marton township, some four miles away. The cottage is now permanently sited on Council-owned land adjacent to the Memorial Hall in Wellington Road, Marton.
Some of our volunteers starting to build the cottage verandah deck.
The Museum complex also hosts two other heritage buildings - a 1916 gaol block donated by local police, and an 1880 furniture factory, constructed and used by Mr Emanuel Snellgrove.
Standard Admission charges:
Family & Social Groups: Adults $4,
Accompanying children & Members free
Charges may vary for Special occasions.
School classes: Please enquire
Our Cottage Kitchen and hallway floors have recently been restored to a rough timber finish replacing some rather unauthentic linoleum. Come and see the new look.