Welcome to the Marton and District Historical Society's "official" Website. (There are others, under the auspices of various museum sites - for which we take little or no responsibility).
The Marton and District Historical Society was formed in 1965, and the Museum (the Cottage) was opened in April 1978.
The Society is a small not-for-profit community group that collects and stores information and artifacts relevant to Marton and its many residents. We also own and are responsible for maintaining the buildings on our site.
The Society has over 50 members, and is run by a small committee and a number of volunteer helpers.
The Society celebrated 50 years of service in 2015.
The Society is a registered charity with the Charities Commission (no. CC31407)
Come and visit us in Wellington Rd, Marton.
Click on "Contact Us" for more information.
Next Open: No regular opening times scheduled
But we can also open on request -
Phone 06 327 6099 for more information.
Marton became home to early settlers in 1866, then known by its original name of Tutaenui.
The name of Marton was adopted in 1869 - the 100th anniversary of Captain James Cook's arrival in New Zealand - after Cook's birthplace of Marton-in-Cleveland in Yorkshire.